[dba-SQLServer] A real puzzler

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 22:08:53 CDT 2015

 >Brand and model of server?

Brand: Colby Consulting special
Model: 4th generation kinda sorta.

:)

I built the server because I did not have the $5X that the big guys
wanted for their wimpy machines.

I have to tell a funny (to me) story.

I use a company out in California for a data cleansing service. About
five years ago, the owner was talking about how he had just paid $20K
for a Dell with a quad core and 32 Gigs of Ram.

I had just finished (re) building my server, a dual socket motherboard,
single AMD 8 core processor with (at that time) 32 Gigs ram, an Areca
RAID 6 controller with 8 tBytes across 4 volumes (using 1 tb WD Blacks),
and a TB of flash drive also raid 6.  For which I paid $8K.    I later
added a second chip for 16 total cores and another 64 gigs of RAM for 96
gigs total.  And I needed all of that power and more for what I do.

I have since put in a new Areca controller, a bunch of 3tb WD drives,
and upgraded all of the flash drives because I was running out of drive
space.  All of my SQL Server log files run out of SSD. All databases and
all indexes are compressed (page).  Data is loaded into memory
compressed, and then uncompressed on-the-fly.  SQL Server is pretty
darned powerful that way.  It needs cores to do that however, and not
"virtual" cores.

Sadly, as a one man show serving a single client with this machine, I
simply cannot convince the client to pay the Dell bucks.

John W. Colby