[dba-SQLServer] Baseball database(s)

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:55:54 CDT 2015

I've often wondered what sort of database technology underlies sportscasts
of major league baseball. (Soccer, too.) These sportscasters always seem to
have on hand such facts as who currently has the longest string of hits in
consecutive games. The reason this example came to mind is because
yesterday a Toronto Blue Jay extended his run to 16 games in which he's hit
at least once -- currently the longest run this season.

This is of course just one such statistic, and baseball fans seem more
concerned than most with stats. It seems there's a stat for virtually every
measure you could imagine, and then some. Number of times a given batter
has hit off a left-hander with two men on. Number of times a pitcher has
struck the batter out with bases loaded and two out in the bottom of the
ninth.

The closest I've ever come to such database technology is seeing the movie
"Moneyball", which I thought was terrific but hardly a tutorial on the
technology. Also to be considered is the rapidity of updates: not many when
compared with, say, Amazon, but still when you consider the number of games
played simultaneously and the granularity (every pitch to every player, its
result and its place in any pattern (this pitcher likes to throw two
fastballs and then a curve; this batter loves to steal second base when
there's one out.)

Has any lister had experience with such a database? I'd love to learn more
about this subject.