[dba-SQLServer] One year free for SQL Server on AWS

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:17:37 CDT 2015

I did go look at AWS and it looks attractive.  However my databases
don't fall in the range that the free would work.  It would be nice to
know what they mean by "database".  As we know, to a SQL Server guy a
database is a container with groups of tables dedicated to some thing.
I have eight databases from which I export about 450 million records out
to CSV files every month.  I export them into 500K record chunks
(files).  I then move those files off to virtual machines for
processing, and some time later, I import some small (1.5% on average)
of the records back in.

So my needs are the databases themselves, which range from 10 gbytes up
to 250 gbytes.  Storage for the files that are exported.  VMs to run the
third party software.  And a SQL Server with 16 cores and 96 gigs RAM
(my current server) to process these things.

And that is just the monthly processing.  I also do order processing
where I create additional order databases, collect record subsets of
various databases above joined together, exported / imported in the same
manner, then CSV files exported and FTPed.

So is a database "any size"?  Do I have to attach them to the sql server
instance and unattach them when done?  Or are the hourly rates somehow
metered as the database itself is accessed?  Is an "I/O" defined as
reading a record into memory from the disk? Updating a record back out
on the disk?  If so what about the billion or so I/Os monthly?

It would be fascinating to discover what this really costs when all is
said and done.  As well as how the actual performance would play out.
And would I have to completely rewrite my c# application that I spent
1.5 years developing?

I built a pair of servers, which actually have cost me about 20k across
10 years. I use fairly "state of the art" SSDs in Raid 6 on dedicated
raid controllers to hold the databases so that database access times are
minimized etc.

The client pays $800 a month for co-location charges.  But they are my
physical machines, and I have full use for as long as I want, all day
every day if I so desire (I don't!).

I would dearly love to dump this whole mess out onto a cloud company
somewhere but it just seems unlikely that it would end up being anywhere
close to my current monthly expenses.

John W. Colby