[dba-SQLServer] Schemas for separation of clients?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Mar 31 12:17:31 CDT 2015

Hi John

My thought was to use the dbo schema as a "master". Then, for each client, copy the (empty) tables to a new schema and give the client exclusive user rights to this schema.

Clearly, it would be much easier to create a copy of the database, but one Azure SQL instance allows only one database, thus a new instance would be needed for each client. It will not turn "expensive" but an instance holding, say, 20 databases will, of course, be cheaper. And you know: saved costs -> your pockets.

/gustav