[dba-SQLServer] Michael Stonebraker on the obsolescence of Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server

Jim Lawrence jlawrenc1 at shaw.ca
Wed May 20 11:11:42 CDT 2015

Hi Arthur:

A great article. It seems that Stonebaker has accurately described the problems...

...but, from my observations, he has not given a solution. He does mention databases that run in RAM and laid out like arrays. I don't see the differences between arrays and tables as they both use rows and columns but maybe he defines arrays as rows and columns in memory. The problem I see is there is not yet any RAM that matches the storage of hard drives...not even close...even attempting such a system would cost an incredible price. Then he mentioned the performance of GPU processors. They are very fast for sure but the energy requirements are prohibitive. (A good friend has a BitCoin mining operation and he says his block of GPUs uses more power than the rest of his house...and he uses electric heat.)

So. IMHO, I would guess we will have to wait for technology to catch up before Michael Stonebraker's predictions can be fully implemented.

In the meantime, how has your RAM array based VoltDB been running?

Jim