[dba-SQLServer] Michael Stonebraker on the obsolescence of Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:17:47 CDT 2015

Jim,

First things first. VoltDB is designed to handle massive input loads, which
may or may not come from humans. Examples might include a Bloombereg stream
of stock-market transactions, or maybe election results coming in from
thousands of polling stations, or thousands of transactions on a web site
such as Chapters Indigo or Amazon. In those cases, the sort of hardware I
described earlier would definitely be required. Oh, I forgot to mention
that lots of cores would help, the more the better.

As to the db outgrowing the RAM available, It is the developer/DBA's
responsibility to ensure that the DB never grows larger than the RAM
available. As it starts to get close, add more servers and/or RAM. You can
do both operations without having to bring the database down. Those kinds
of organizations can afford the costs.

But VoltDB is not only for such massive database input streams. In fact,
there's a community version that can run in as little as 4GB of RAM. The
largest db I ever managed as DBA was just shy of 50 GB, so a pair of
servers each with 64 GB leaves lots of room for rapid growth.

But I'm beginning to see a place for VoltDB in lots of situations. A chain
of drugstores, say. How big can the Shoppers Drug Mart database be? Or
think of the "average" app most of us have written, with 30 or 40 PCs
running an Access app against a SQL back end. The community edition is
cheap enough to make that thinkable, and the speed would blow the doors of
the SQL equivalent. That would be FUN.