[dba-Tech] XP net management

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Mon Aug 4 10:12:07 CDT 2003

I readily admit that I know next to nothing about LANs; I usually leave all
that to the network guys and then come in and work my magic :-) But on the
home front there are no network guys, I'm it, and then my ignorance is a
problem!

I have 4 boxes and a Compaq Proliant dual-CPU server. 2 of the boxes boot
wxp. One box boots w2k. One box boots either wxp or mandrake 9.1 depending
upon my mood. Plus I have a 5-port mini switch

Every single box save the server sees different things. I have no idea how
to control what is visible to whom. I've tried creating shares and adding
network places and yada^3 with decidedly mixed results.

What I want to achieve:

As admin I can see everything everywhere.
As user A on box A, you can see only one dir on B and all the shared stuff
on Server.
As user C on box C, you see what A sees only relative to your box.
As user D on any box, you can see some dirs on A and B and Server.
Eventually I want the world to see one specific directory in IIS.
I want to be able to hit my instance of SQL2K remotely, using a known port +
uid + pswd. I can hit two clients' databases in this way but the network
guys set it up so I don't know the details. I want to open port #### and
forward incoming to server and let sql security take care of it after that,
so I can hit it from anywhere should I need to -- and all this freedom at
the expense of random probers.

Ideally, within my LAN I'd like to make the box you log onto irrelevant, so
that anywhere you log on you can see your instance of Outlook, your
MyFavorites, MyDocuments and MyFiles plus selected server locations
(depending upon the rights Admin assigns you).

I know it can be done because I've worked at several institutions where it
has been done, but I never asked the network guys exactly what steps are
required to create this situation.

That sounds like a whole bookful of information, but I'm hoping one of you
brilliant folks will give me a simple step-by-step recipe.

TIA :-)
Arthur