[dba-Tech] Modems

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 18 17:36:44 CDT 2003

On 18 Aug 2003 at 8:51, Steven W. Erbach wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> >> Can you ping the othjer two machines from your son's. <<
>
> Very good question. No, I can't. I get "Host not reachable" errors. When I
> try to ping my sons' w/s I get a timeout.
>
> I also see that that PC isn't visible in My Network Places. Hmmm.

So the problem is mor fundamental that seeing the modem.

Go to one of the other machines and check the name of the  Workgroup
you are using. (Control Panel - System - Network Identification.)

On both of the W2K macxhines
1. Got to Control Panel - System - Network Identification and note
the computer and Workgroup names. The computer nams should be
different, the Workgroup nmae the same.

2. Go to  Settings - Network and Dial Up Connections - Local Area
Conenction and  Click Properties
Select Interent Protocol and click on properties
Record the IP Address and Mask and Default Gateway
They should have different addresses but with the first three groups
probably the same.
The masks should be the same and the Default Gateway should be the
same.

Now go to the XP machine.
In roughly the same places (I don't have an XP Home here):
   change  the Workgroup name if necessary
   Install Internet Protocol if necessary
  Set thte same mask  anmd gateway and an appropriate IP address
(leave the first three groups the same, make the fourth one another
currently unused number in the range 1 - 254.)

Then try pinging around again.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg