[dba-Tech] Modems

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Thu Aug 21 13:19:20 CDT 2003

No problem.  One minor correction though, what has been explained with DHCP
holds true for connecting to the internet too.

If you have a broadband connection, your 'LAN' extends to the first router
it hits.  If you have a DSL modem (not modem/router), the first router you
are going to hit is going to be at the ISP.  This router will have DHCP
capabilities, to send the broadband clients an IP Address.

It's much the same for Dialup, the only difference is that you are using DUN
to act as the NIC, when connecting to the internet.

Drew