[dba-Tech] Lots of Virii attempts today

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Thu Aug 21 14:52:28 CDT 2003

RE: [dba-Tech] Norton FirewallJust a little FYI on this virus.  It DOES NOT use the email address of the infected machine to send out emails.  It sends them out using random email addresses found on the users machine.  What does that mean in English?  If your anti-virus software sends a notice to the sender of a virus (like yours did here Arthur), you are notifying the wrong person.  We have gotten tons of these notices, because our employee's email addresses are being spoofed by this virus!

To actually determine what is sending out these emails, look at the header info of the email.  That will give you the machine name and IP Address of the computer sending out the viruses.  Get the WhoIS information for that IP Address, and notify the Abuse or Tech person for that IP Address.  It may help them if you include a copy of the header information.

Drew