[dba-Tech] Security measures

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 15:49:56 CDT 2003

Dear Group,

Computer security grabbed the headlines over the last two weeks. I've been
steadily adding to a Favorites list of security-related web sites, but my
own understanding of the issues in computer and Internet security is limited
to what I read and what I've done on the PCs in my home office.

I have two main questions:

1) What resources do you turn to for security information -- books,
magazines, web sites, etc.?

2) What things have you done on your own PCs to battle the forces of
darkness? Software (anti-virus, password encryption, firewalls) or hardware
(routers, proxy servers, firewalls, etc.).
2a) What was it about these products that recommended themselves to you?

Thank you for your input in advance. I've found myself answering questions
about security that I'm not too sure about. That's why I'm asking you here.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

If architects built buildings the way programmers built applications, the
first woodpecker to come along would cause the end of civilization.