[dba-Tech] Security measures

Tortise@Paradise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 27 18:08:16 CDT 2003

From: "Francisco H Tapia" <my.lists at verizon.net>
To: "Discussion of Hardware and Software issues" <dba-tech at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Security measures

Steven W. Erbach wrote:
<snip>
> VERY good advice. I use Norton Ghost on a regular basis though I have never
> needed to make the Ghosted drive the main drive due to a failure of the
> primary. I assume that all that needs to be done is for the master/slave
> jumpers to be moved around and you're back in business, right?

I create images not ghost to a mirror drive... the diffrence is you can
(depending on the amount of data on your main hdd) have 2-3 or more
images on one hdd... I've got an old 300mb Original image for win2k w/
nothing loaded except the SP2 patch and Office 2000.  It's quite a bit
easier this way cuz you can just take your corrupted OS dump the image
on it placing you back before the patch was installed.

NEW STARTS here!
How do you "dump the image" back exactly.  Sounds great.  What software do you use?  Does this work over an existing installation of
W2K or XP with other programs installed????   I presume it doesn't and one has to reload all the programs.  Is that what you mean?
In that case the benefit is saving the chunk of time to recreate the drive back to that level?
TIA
Kind regards,
David
Engines2Go - Now THAT's a Search Engine!
Automated major search engine manager
Makes searching quicker and easier - Have you tried it?
http://www.engines2go.com/
http://www.cheqsoft.com/  The home of Clipboard Express, MP3 Detective, TimesOwn and Break Reminder.