[dba-Tech] Security measures

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Aug 28 02:35:11 CDT 2003

I swear with backup tapes.
Hard disks and ghosts stuffs backups are not suffuciant, they do not cover all risks.

Things change to much to fast for disk or ghost backups.
Most problems/corruptions are only noticiable after some time (days weeks,months), same thing for windows updates
I must say my experiance lies at server backups and not pc's.
My notebook is backupped every day by the server (Veritas) becuase that's the only comuter that contains data.

In my experiance DAT tapes are wothless. All DAT tapes from HP above the 4/8GB capacity fail to work withing 1 to 2 years. They need weekly cleaning.

TR tape drives or variants (On stream) do tend to work for pc's but I owuld not advice them to use them on a server. To slow to CPU intensive.

I'm using/selling AIT drive for more than 3 years now, none of them has been cleaned (not necesary) and none of them failed in that period.

AIT drives are (at my knowledge) the cheapest € per GB and available in large capacities.
I have a 35/70 but larger systems do exist now (50/100 for the rest I dont know).

But it is a big investment, but I would have no doubt dooing it again. It

I use about 13 tapes to backup, a week and month rotation and 4 tapes for off-line backups that are in the safe in the bank...