[dba-Tech] Security measures

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Aug 28 02:50:48 CDT 2003

I once knew a power supply putted more than 5/12 volt on both drives...
And both death...

I use RAID mirrors (hardware) but a disk mirror is only usefull for a
disk crash, not a system crash.
If your OS crashes your mirror is a mirror of your crashed system :-(

Number one rule in good backups is:
The backups should be in a other location!!!
For reason of
-Fire
-Water
-Accidents (wire trippling)
-Terrorists acts..
-Hackers
-Virusses
-Stupidities

For what concerns removable disks.
You know that any (ATA) disk above 512MB should be used on the
controller/bios that formatted the drive.
If you write on a disk formatted by an other system (controller) you
risk corrupting the drive.
This is due to the sector translating trics controllers use (or
something).
In my experiance I never had any problem reading a drive (installed as a
second disk). Writing does give problems inmediate or after a while (can
be months).

I don't know the story with USB/Firewire, but I supose the controller is
in the disk box and this should not be a problem.
Erwin