[dba-Tech] Security measures - Windcows Updates

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Aug 28 02:58:22 CDT 2003

A sold computer never leaves the company with a full update.
Never had any problem.

I once a problem (two weeks ago) with a customer that did an windows
update.
His W2K system would not boot.
I found an MSKB article about this and its was due to a wrong sequence
of updates.
A updates needed an NTKERN form another update that was not installed
yet.
Replacing the NTKERN by an older solved the issue after which I
installed al other updates.

I would not recommand automatic updating for a whole computerpark.
I believe in, first a trial computer, let it work for a week, and then
the rest (at once)....

In case of automatice updates or manual (all computers in one time), in
case of a problem you have lost all your computers at once...
Better 1 contained problem than 1 huge problem :-)

Erwin