[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Aug 28 11:12:41 CDT 2003

Tortise at Paradise wrote:

> [...]

dump the image refers to copying the image of a hdd back to a
destination partition or disk.  When using Norton Ghost software you are
given the choice of mirroring (copying) a disk, or creating an image.
You are also given a choice of writing back to the source disk by
dumping the image back to the disk.  I think the menu calls it copy but
I've grown accustom to the command line arguments that I commonly refer
to it by it's actual parameter name 'dump'

an image is just that... a complete copy of the original, thus if you
had office, sql server, iis and the like loaded, you would not have to
re-load all the data back....

to write back to the disk does not take too long at all, this of course
depends on your hdd setup, It commonly takes me about 15-30 minutes
depending on the size of the disk... for anything greater than 40gig I
believe it takes about 30 minutes....
i've seen it take longer too, for a 60 gig hdd, the IS took like 2.5 hrs
just to get the partition right.. but this of course was also cuz they
plugged in the 2 drives off the same channel. something you would not
want to do when imaging or mirroring... most commonly you'd want the max
output of your drive thus moving it to an isolated channel, unless of
course you use SCSI. :)

--
-Francisco