[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Aug 28 14:47:50 CDT 2003

John Colby wrote:

> Ran out of room on the disk.  Bigger disk = rebuild.

Not necessarily... you could have avoided all that w/ Ghost by imaging
the partition to the new drive... or if you own Partition Magic it's
even easier to resize partitions.

> Back in the old days, I would get a 40mb disk drive and partition it into
> two pieces - 15 / 25 or so, so that I had a "data drive" and a "system"
> drive.  Inevitably the "C:" (System) drive would fill up.
>
> Now I have a 120g drive, partitioned 40 / 80.  With the whole darned world
> installed I still have 23mb available on the system drive.
>
> And I don't buy the luck thing, too long using it on too many computers with
> no problems.  I would buy "flaky computers" on the part of those with
> problems though.

I would agree with you on that last comment IF the only system it would
have happend would have been my old PCchips board.  But it's happened on
all sorts of systems... it doesn't matter if it was a genuine intel
board or something from via w/o all the drivers on it or one of the pre
700series SiS chipsets...

...additionally problems have crept up on Dell, Compaq, HP, and Gateway
systems which are you average everyday computer user's pc's.

MOST of my side-job, extra $$ has come from people I know who ran the
Windows Update religiously until it broke their pc... at which point
they brought it to me to rebuild it for them.  I run a clean install w/
the critical SP's and hotfixes... ghost to CD, then do another w/ all
their basic software and ghost to CD (usually 2).  finally when the
system is compelte w/ Firewall I run a final ghost and give all cd's
back to them and advise them to save their data files to their 2ndary
disk (when available).

--
-Francisco