[dba-Tech] Cross posted: Is 2003 ready for prime time?

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Dec 31 04:45:31 CST 2003

There is a serious problem with SBS 2003.

1) There is a dll register problem but that is solved wit a MS fix.

2) and very importantant. The Exchange server 2003 included with SBS
2003 no longer supports connectors other than the basic ones (for
example SMTP). Even the MS notes connector is not supported.
In my case this is problematic (glad I did not upgraded yet) my GFI
faxmaker fax software that installs a connector in Exchange 2003 no
longer works due this.
According to GFI this is a bug or deliberate limitatation from MS in
Exchange 2003 (version in SBS 2003), and is true for all third party
cnnectors. MS has not responded to this yet.

I also strongly advise you to verify every software (Like backup
software) you wanna use on Windows 2003 that is is supported

Erwin