[dba-Tech] OT W2K Help!!!!!!

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 8 04:46:08 CDT 2003

On 8 Jul 2003 at 10:23, Andy Lacey wrote:

> Essentially it seems to be that the file userinit.exe is in one place
> but the registry is pointing to it in a different place. I can now
> access the C: drive (it is fat32) via a newer DOS disk, and the
> userinit.exe file is in c:\windows\system32. That leaves me with the
> question of how to interrorgate a W2K registry when I can't get W2k
> started. And I have no other W2K machines and I'm not on a network.
> Any of you kind and wonderful people any idea on that one?

Here's a though.

If you think it's the registry that is pointing to the wrong spot,
copy the file to where the W2K want's it to be.

Make a c:\winnt directory and copy the userinit file to the
directory. That may get you in long enough to edit the registry to
point back to the right spot.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.