[dba-Tech] MS patches Scroll out of IE

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Tue Nov 18 03:16:17 CST 2003

For starters, *Security* I mean if that "IS" a priority.

Next... automatic (non-third-party) popup killer blocking.
Tho it's not an automatic default, I added the scripting (copy & paste)
needed for disabling ad-banners in web pages.

before the scripting, the browser loaded fast.  In fact I notice that it
loads in many cases faster than IE.  After the adjustment w/ the no
ad-banners, it loads even faster (pages) than IE.

Next, Tab browsing.  Default tab browsing is awesome, kinda like in
Opera if you've ever used that.  The neat feature he is you can open
multiple tabs w/ difrent content.... This is handy if you ever wanted to
open another page (follow a link) and keep your old page open w/o
opening another instance of the browser.  Let's say ebay, you can open
multiple items but keep the initial search page.

Enhance that Tab Browsing w/ tab extentions and now you're really
cooking :D.  You can UNDO a closed tab, you can save your web session.
Say you get called into a meeting, you can close your browser save the
session and return to it w/o having to bookmark the page you were
reading. Additionally you can "duplicate" pages so you can follow
diffrent links or what ever other reason you'd want to have a duplicate
of a page.

And the most awesome feature I like... it's got the best compatibility
than any other browser and yup I'll throw in IE in there too.  I'm
plauged w/ a ton of ActiveX scripting errors when I open IE. of course
it depends on what page I visit but I'll get these errors even when I
visit MS content.  To that I say phoey... I use Firebird cuz it'll
render "Just about any page" out there.  Sure some don't render, but
that's a rare occasion, and usually it depends on some mis-written tag.
  But you hardly run into that problem...

The newest plugin faq setup allows your firebird setup (registry keys)
to be updated to recognize real, quicktime and flash (to name a few) so
it's not like you have to do a-lot of setup. and yes it's still RC I'm
using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b)
Gecko/20031109 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim)
But I like to keep up w/ the latest and the greatest cuz there really is
nothing wrong w/ .6

lastly I liked how all my favorites were easily imported to firebird.
:)  and while I Don't like that the favorites are now centerilly
organized in firebird, I do like easily getting to my book marks via the
customizable toolbar (yes just like in IE).

if you like skins for your browser to make it look more XPish just load
that particular skin :D.

You really don't have to use it Rocky, but I do think that if you give
it a chance you will be impressed, and you might acctually say good bye
to IE. and you'll probably get a good chuckle the next time you see
another IE security vulnerability patch :). (like I did today).

--
-Francisco