[dba-Tech] Question about Radio technology

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Nov 24 16:05:33 CST 2003

On 24 Nov 2003 at 12:37, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> Someone asked me to explain the difference between AM, FM and short wave
> and I suddenly realized that I have huge gaps in my alleged knowledge of
> same. Can someone point me to a net-splanation or supply one?

AM = Amplitude modulation. The signal is on a set frequency and the
information in encoded by varying the strength of it (the amplitude
of the wave).

FM = Frequency modulation.  The information is encoded by varying the
radio frequency

The radio portion of the electromagnetic spectrum is divided into a
series of bands:

Very low VLF 3 to 30 KHz
Low LF 30 to 300 KHz
Medium MF 300 to 3000 KHz
High HF 3 to 30 MHz
Very high VHF 30 to 300 MHz
Ultrahigh UHF 300 to 3000 MHz
Super high SHF 3 to 30 GHz
Extremely high EHF 30 to 300 GHz

These bands are also named according to the length of the waves (ie
the reciprocal of the frequency)

As the frequency decreases (and the wave length increases) the
effective distance at which the signal can be received increases. UHF
is very much "line of sight". By the time you get down to HF, the
signal can be bounced off the ionosphere, so can be used over very
long distances.

FM uses VHF frequencies
AM is used over the full range of frquncies.

"Shortwave" is another name for the AM HF band. This is the band used
by long range broadcasts and amatuer radio.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg