[dba-Tech] Re: Virus mail

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Sun Oct 26 03:11:09 CST 2003

You need to look at the settings for the Messenger service in ZA.  They are
probably set to let it act as a server on the Internet.  It only needs to
act as a server on the LAN.  Of course, it only needs to do that if you are
actually using it.  There are a few things that use the Messenger service.
The two I know of, off the top of my head are Active Directory, and
Microsoft Exchange Server.  If you don't use either of these, and don't have
anything special that uses the messenger service, just turn it off.  I don't
know what kind of network you have setup.  I am running Active Directory (so
I keep that service running), but if you just have a stand alone machine
connected to the internet, then just disable that service.  In the control
panel, under Administrative Tools, is the 'Services' option.  That will list
all of the services on your machine.  The service you want will be listed as
'Messenger'.  Just double click on it, and you'll see the startup options.
Automatic (which means it starts as soon as windows does, Manual, which
means it starts either manually, or if another service is dependant upon it,
and Disabled, which means it won't start EVER.  (Unless you switch it back
to Automatic or Manual)).  Just set it to disabled, and you'll be back in
business.

Drew