[dba-Tech] Wireless or wired

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Oct 30 01:50:35 CST 2003

Please note that with structured cabling (cat 5 or 6) you can use that
cables for other things to.

1) Phone, Fax and modem lines
2) USB over UTP
3) RS232 (Serial) over UTP
4) KVM (over UTP
5) Connect networkprinter
6) all the old network stuff like twinax over utp

Speeds over utp is now max 1Gb...
Is more secure than wireless.
I do'nt know nut I do'nt want every thing beeing wireless, I do't wanna
turn my house into a giant microwave...
And my experiances with Wireless are pretty disapointing.
They get a lot of interference from other devices like wireless phones,
bluetooth etc..

I have tested SMC, D-link, Netgear boxes with always the same result.
More than 10 meters away (in house) the connections are bad and at 1Mb.
For internet that still fine, but if Am synchronising my Music files it
takes several hours instead of several minutes....
The SMC box with encryption I have resets every 5 minutes when having
heavy trafic trasnfered (1 user only)!!!

I'm hoping th boxes that work on the 5GHz freq will be working better.
They are not allowed yet in Belgium..

Erwin