[dba-Tech] Security measures

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Mon Sep 1 02:21:43 CDT 2003

I think I got this late, due to recent power failures, my mail server has
been off and on a bit, so messages have been delayed a bit.

Here's my perspective, I am going to break it into work and home.

Work:

At work, we have a network of about 150 to 200 computers.  We have a T1 (and
backup T1), which is connected through a router that has firewall
capabilities.  That is our firewall.  It's fast and efficient, though I have
never touched it, other then to turn it off/on.  My co-worker has spent a
lot of time and effort in understanding and programing that thing, so I stay
clear.

That is our internet protection, against hacker access.  As far as viruses
go, we use three TrendMicro products.  ScanMail, ServerProtect and
OfficeScan.  We started with ScanMail.  Back when the ILOVEYOU Virus was
floating around, our current network admin/exchange admin was tasked with
getting some sort of virus protection for our Exchange server.  He failed to
do so, and a few months after the virus was talking about on CNN, we were
hit with a variation of that virus.  It tore the heck out of our mail
systems.  At the time I was relatively new to the company, but I new far
more about Exchange then the admin, simply because I was very comfortable
around MS software, and I knew quite a bit about databases.  In fact, the
Exchange Admin didn't have a freakin clue about how to handle the virus
situation.  I took over (and thus 'became' the Exchange Admin).  I did a
search on the net for Exchange anti-virus packages.  What I was specifically
looking for was something that not only scanned emails as mail came in and
out, but also one that would scan individual mailboxes.  ScanMail fit the
bill.  I was able to download a demo package, that would run for 30 days.
It did a superb job of taking care of our virus.  For the next few months,
we watched for virus alerts.  Everytime a virus was announced, we found it
on Trend's site immediately.  The other big guys, like MacAffee and Norton
were a toss up, so we felt that we made a good (lucky) decision with Trend
Micro.  Since we have used ScanMail, we have only had ONE virus get through
(literally one, one copy).  It was a virus that came through the MIME media
file attachment, which forces Media player to play.  As soon as we knew
about that virus, we ran an immediate update on ScanMail, and it updated the
engine to catch that type of attachment too.  Now, to make ScanMail
effective, we do not allow ANY attachment through that can be run
immediately.  ScanMail is then extremly effective.  Since any file extension
that can be immediately run is blocked, and Scanmail catches everything in
it's pattern (and it goes several layers deep into Zip files (you can set
it, the default is 5 layers), we are virtually immune to email viruses.  It
catches email coming in, going out, and internal email.  Highly effective.
It is also pretty light weight.  I have never noticed extereme server usage
by ScanMail.  In fact, after the initial setup, and a few tweaks, I RARELY
go into ScanMail's control panel, because it just keeps chugging.  I found
the outgoing scan to be pretty important, since we don't want an infected
user sending viruses out of the company either.  (With that ILOVEYOU virus,
we contacted as many people as we could, that we sent them a virus.)

A few months after that we had another virus issue.  It was a Word Doc
virus.  An HR person had brought their girlfriend's resume in on a floppy,
and that resume contained a virus.  Thus, every word document he opened was
infected, and it began to spread pretty quick.  So again we looked to Trend.
ServerProtect was their server based enterprise package.  We installed a
Trail version, and it immediately handled our Word virus issue.  It allows
for manual scans, auto scans, and I/O scans.  An I/O scan reads everything
written and read from/to a server.  It is amazingly lite weight.  Once
installed to our File Servers, we noticed NO difference in file retrieval
speeds.  It's an enterprise package, so we actually installed it to one
server, and then we told it what servers we wanted protected, and it
installed itself on those machines.  Those machines can then be collectively
managed from one point.  Only issue we have ever had with ServerProtect is
that we have an NT4 machine which is a Dec Alpha, and ServerProtect is no
longer supported on Dec Alpha.  (So we mapped it's drives to one of the
other servers, and we have those mapped drives scanned nightly.  Not as
protective as I/O, but it works...).

The last peice of virus protection wasn't prompted by a virus.  I fought
tooth and nail to get it, because our biggest vulnerability after ScanMail
and ServerProtect was our individual machines.  We finally bought OfficeScan
close to a year ago.  OfficeScan is Trend's enterprise level desktop
protection.  It's pretty slick too.  It can be file based, or web based, we
chose to go the web based method.  With this method, clients can be
installed and updated from the web.  It can also 'remotely' install on NT
machines.  The Admin web page allows for controlling remote machines
(scanning, updating, installing, etc.), and it also offers reporting on a
network wide basis.  Last week we were hit by WORM_MSBLAST.D.  What we
discovered was that OfficeScan clients weren't updating, their patterns were
the original ones that were installed.  I figured out and fixed that problem
on Thursday.  I just had to map a virtual drive on the webserver, because
the clients were looking for a URL that didn't exist.  If we would have
found and fixed that issue earlier, we would have had no problems with that
virus.  OfficeScan also password protects the client machines, so clients
cannot stop or uninstall it without the Admin password.

One last thing, ScanMail can also be purchased as a version that has
eManager.  (We should have bought the original that way, but didn't).
eManager is a Spam handler, and it works well as far as spam goes.

I highly recommend Trend products, because we have had little to no problem
with them (other then this recent issue, which was mostly our fault for not
verifying updates).  They are priced fine, and they do have a maintenance
price, on a yearly basis.  It's reasonable, and should be the same or less
then the other big packages.  Another item of note, is that before we began
using Trend products, we had MacAffee installed on our clients.  It was
atrocious.  Patterns were a pain to update, and more importantly, MacAffee
interfered with legitimate computer stuff more then it protected from
viruses.  With Trend's products, we have had no such difficulties, other
then an odd ActiveX issue for a yellow pages package on our Intranet. (Which
we have resolved....within a few hours of knowing about the issue).

Hope this helps.

Drew