[dba-Tech] Windows group

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Sep 30 01:50:56 CDT 2003

Hi Steven

> Our workstations are connected in a Novell NetWare LAN. I'm still looking
> for something like Novell NetWare's time limits for logins...but for
> Windows, not NetWare. Novell will disconnect the user from the network once
> the valid time range has been exceeded.

> Any ideas for a Windows discussion group like this one where I might get my
> question answered, or do you lot have any additional insights?

Well, Novell eDirectory (NDS) is here:

  http://www.novell.com/products/edirectory

and as for the system requirements:

  http://www.novell.com/products/edirectory/sysreqs.html

it runs on NetWare, WinNT, Win2000, Linux, Solaris and AIX - but not
on WinXP or Win9x.

As a developer you can even get and supply it for free, though
somewhat crippled as the user count is limited to 250.000:

  http://developer.novell.com/edirectory/redistribution/

By the way, the 5-user NetWare Small Business Server package is also
available for free through most dealers. We use that with great
success for small installations; get a low spec. discounted but brand
new HP entry level server, and you are off.

/gustav