[dba-Tech] win 2k problem

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 10:38:35 CDT 2004

Hi all

A colleague who really should know better has just taken delivery of a new
pc for his department. So he swapped all the drives over from his pc to the
new one, and tried to start it, and nothing happened. Well not quite nothing
- he got to a black screen with a flashing white cursor. I suggested that he
boot off the Win2k cd and run the repair utility, which he did.

So he rebooted again, and it's still going to the black screen and staying
there.

He's got completely different hardware now - new motherboard, processor,
ram, video card etc. The only things that are the same are the hard drive,
cd-rw and dvd-rom.

I'm a bit stuck now, so I told him to run the repair utility again, see if
that helps, but if anyone else has any suggestions, they'd be much
appreciated...

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291