[dba-Tech] W2K Setup & Admin Principles

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 05:03:14 CDT 2004

This must be trivial for anyone with W2K admin experience, but I'm coming to
it for first time so some help would be hugely appreciated.

What we want to achieve is commonplace. A workstation with an admin level
user and an ordinary (or power) user who can run software but not get at
setup functionality. Simply put, what is the standard way of achieving this?
Let's take our first software, Office 97. If I load it as Admin then only
Admin can see it to run it. Is there something I can do to make it load for
All Users? Or do I have to make my user an admin temporarily and load it a
2nd time for them? Surely not. Or do I just copy the shortcut to the All
Users desktop? Will that really work? Doesn't sound the 'proper' way to me.
There must be, I'm certain, a straightforward, simple and correct way to
achieve this.

Certain software throws up specific problems, again probably because I'm
going about this wrong. Take Norton AV. I load that under Admin and it runs
fine. I download the latest virus defs and run the downloaded EXE and it
does the business. Now I logon as my user account, but if I then try to
update the virus defs I'm told the subscription has expired. What's that all
about?

And what does one use to make things like 'My Computer' disappear from a
user's desktop, or 'Control Panel' disappear from the start menu? To really
achieve a tightly stripped down UI in other words. Do you guys still use
TweakUI for things like that, or is there an in-built mechanism? And is
TweakUI ok in a multiple user setting anyway?

Does anyone have the answers to this lot? And can anyone recommend good
on-line resources where I can read up and improve my knowledge (shouldn't be
difficult!) of this stuff. Because I've never been called upon before to do
this kind of thing I've sort of muddled through when I've needed to do
anything, but now I need to know more. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk