[dba-Tech] Advice on Consolidating Workgroups, Domain etc.

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 23 17:53:56 CDT 2004

On 23 Aug 2004 at 15:06, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> But when I click the "Computers near me"
> icon, I can't see Avalon. Is that normal?) I cannot see Lancelot, which runs
> XP and shares nothing, so I guess that makes sense. I cannot see Guinivere
> at all, and only the shared folder on Avalon. These latter two run win2k.

If they are in a different workgroup, they are not classed as "near you".
You need to look at the whole "Windows network" to see both workgroup names
and then tunnel down into each workgroup to see the individual workstations
in each.

> Can anyone provide suggestions, advice, or even better a step-by-step
> recipe for how to do this?

Make sure that all machines are in the same IP Address subnet.
Make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is enabled
on all machines and create a shared folder on every machine.
On Avalon and Guinivere go into Nework and Dialup Connections, go to
Advanced | Network Identification , Click on Properties and change the name
to Workgroup 1.
--
Stuart