[dba-Tech] Software Firewalls

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Dec 7 12:07:32 CST 2004

Another good point...

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Mitsules,
Mark
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 11:39 AM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: RE: [dba-Tech] Software Firewalls

John, Drew, et. al.,

Of course you're right regarding a hardware firewall.

I guess my point was...with the software variant, I don't have to worry
about constantly opening and closing ports, or remembering which software
uses which port, or worry whether opening a port for one piece of software
will inadvertently open it for another piece of software for which I did not
intend...I don't even need to know what a port is.

For a significant number of users, having the ability to grant software, by
name, access to the LAN or the internet via a simple GUI is about as easy as
it gets and is arguably "good enough".

Mark