[dba-Tech] Google Alerts

Mitsules, Mark Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Fri Dec 10 15:42:27 CST 2004

OK...I used an online RSS URL generator to come up with this:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/rss?p=Submarine

Using Firefox with the Sage extension (RSS Viewer), I end up with a nicely
formatted HTML page.  I know I can do a manual cut-n-paste straight from
that HTML into my page, but I'm trying to take this XML suggestion to heart.
Given the result from above, what is the next step?  One thing I see already
is that Yahoo! takes the original story URL and reformats it through them.
While we're going through this process, is it possible to strip all that
stuff out?  Basically I want to take this (watch for wrap):

- <item>
- <title>
- <![CDATA[ Submarine returning to Connecticut (WFSB 3)
  ]]>
  </title>

<link>http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/search/Submarine/SIG=11vpdtklm/*h
ttp%3A//www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=2675298&nav=1VGmU3Gv</link>
  <guid
isPermaLink="false">http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/search/Submarine/SI
G=11vpdtklm/*http%3A//www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=2675298&nav=1VGmU3Gv</
guid>
  <pubDate>Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:48:31 GMT</pubDate>
- <description>
- <![CDATA[ NEW LONDON -- The USS A lexandria is returning home to
Connecticut Friday. The attack sub will be coming into New London Harbor to
the submarine base at 12:30 p.m.
  ]]>
  </description>
  </item>

...and turn it into this (watch for wrap):

	<h2 class="item-title">
		<a
href="http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=2675298&nav=1VGmU3Gv">
			Submarine returning to Connecticut (WFSB 3)
		</a>
	</h2>
		NEW LONDON -- The USS A lexandria is returning home to
		Connecticut Friday. The attack sub will be coming into
		New London Harbor to the submarine base at 12:30 p.m.
		Fri, Dec 10, 2004 7:48

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this.

Mark