[dba-Tech] Verifying Accuracy or Legitimacy of Email Address

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Dec 12 20:41:13 CST 2004

On 12 Dec 2004 at 19:36, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> My real question is, what's a graceful and efficient way to step aside
> these problems? Assuming that you HAVE purchased, I need to be able to
> get in touch asap (Cher has a cold and the concert is postponed until
> the next night). I don't want to wait until I need to send you such a
> message to discover that the e-addy you supplied is bad, or that my
> sends will get bounced due to your spam-filter etc. I want to be a good
> vendor and get gracefully past all these impediments asap, without
> subverting your spam-filters, ISP-bouncers etc. I just want to be a good
> reliable honest vendor and be able to stay in touch with you as things
> change -- which, in the rock & roll biz, they do, frequently.

In this case, II'd probably do something like this:

I'd explain all of the above as simply as possible on the website including
the importance of being able to get through to them and a clear statement
that you will not store their email after the event and will not use it for
any purpose other than to notify them of any changes to the event.

Then I'd tell the customers that I was sending a confirmation email of the
purchase and ask them to confirm receipt of the same by replying to it and
give them an email address and reference number to send to if they don't
receive the confirmation email.

--
Stuart