[dba-Tech] Windows 2003 Server question: Named Pipes

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at artfulsoftware.com
Sun Dec 26 15:41:27 CST 2004

Quoth the manual
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Windows_select_server.html) ...

-------------------------------

   * Starting from MySQL 3.23.50, named pipes are enabled only if you
     start the server with the `--enable-named-pipe' option.  It is now
     necessary to use this option explicitly because some users have
     experienced problems shutting down the MySQL server when named
     pipes were used.

<snip>

MySQL supports TCP/IP on all Windows platforms. The mysqld-nt and
mysql-max-nt servers support named pipes on Windows NT, 2000, XP, and 2003.
However, the default is to use TCP/IP regardless of the platform. (Named
pipes are slower than TCP/IP in many Windows configurations.) Named pipe use
is subject to these conditions:

a.. Starting from MySQL 3.23.50, named pipes are enabled only if you start
the server with the --enable-named-pipe option. It is now necessary to use
this option explicitly because some users have experienced problems shutting
down the MySQL server when named pipes were used.
a.. Named pipe connections are allowed only by the mysqld-nt or
mysqld-max-nt servers, and only if the server is run on a version of Windows
that supports named pipes (NT, 2000, XP, 2003).

So (i) are you using mysqld-nt, (ii) why use named pipes? Wot's wrong with
TCP/IP?

P.