[dba-Tech] Force (HTML) footer in Exchange Server.

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 10 08:31:41 CST 2004

> From: "Erwin Craps - IT Helps" <Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be>

> HTML is getting very common these days.

Yep. No question. But just because it's common, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

> Every newsletter I receive is in HTML, probably 80% of E-mail I receive
> is HTML.
> If a newsletter is not in HTML, I don't bother anymore to look at it.

I'm just the opposite.  The majority of my e-mail is plain text, probably upwards of 95%. If the newsletter doesn't offer a plain text version, then I will NOT subscribe to it.

> I know, I know the disadvantages, but for proper layout it's the only
> choice..

No it's not. You can just put a link to a web page.

> Need HTML to do proper layout formatting.

Yep, but IMO, e-mail is not the place for HTML. For the vast majority of e-mail plain text is fine. HTML formatting adds NO value, but adds significantly to the bandwidth. 3-7 times in fact.

> And why would it a risk.

Lots of reasons. Some mail admins do not allow HTML mail into their servers and will reject any HTML mail. Some strip the HTML. Some users delete HTML mail unread (I know I do if it is from someone I don't know). THen there is HTML mail that downloads from the web, images and javascript and the like, just by opening the e-mail.

> Adding a link to a website can give you the same prob.

Not really. A link REQUIRES a user to click on it to activate any "payload". All that is required for an HTML e-mail is for the user to preview it. Not even open it.

> And if you have a decent virusscanner wrong html gets cleaned...

Yes, but really how many people actually keep their AV up to date? For the longest time I had to MANUALLY update my AV at work because it wasn't done automatically. That's in a corporate setting, let alone the home user that doesn't know how to or why they should update their AV. That is even if they have one.

> Never had a single mail refused because it's HTML, I'm using HTML for
> several years now...

Then you must hang out in different circles than I do, because it is common, especially for NON MS users.

> I believe HTML in mail is here to stay, unless someone finds a better
> way to have some layout posibilities in mail.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Again, just because it's common, doesn't mean it's right.

Again, just my $0.02 CAD worth.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Unfortunately common sense isn't so common!