[dba-Tech] RunDLL32

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Fri Jan 2 16:29:11 CST 2004

Bobby suggested
> Since you cannot use msconfig.  Maybe try Startup Control Panel.
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Nifty little thing, but still no-go. Will make it handy to show what all is running. Maybe someone will spot the villian (as William called it).

is pretty straightforward - things I've used forever.

also pretty straightforward, though I had to go find out what pcfmgr was - and to quote:
For laptops : Power Schemes Manager System Tray icon (also called PowerPannel).  This icon enables you to create various Power Schemes (e.g. "Running off the battery", "Connected to Mains", etc.), switch power schemes, view the Battery charge level, and set Low/Full Battery alarms.  Seen on laptops which have a Phoenix BIOS (e.g. Sony Vaio laptops).
So that's not a problem.

haven't yet researched all these

here's the one that I'm trying to get rid of - further note below *

nothing here, just put it up to be consistant

shows that it deletes temporarily

* When I first tried to delete using this, I deleted, then closed and did my reboot. When it was still I took a look again and found it in this state. Further experimenting, I then deleted both of these (no longer showing), then clicked on the deleted tab, saw that it did *not* add a second/third deleted entry, clicked back over to the hkcu tab, and stupid sucker is right back.

JC said:
It sounds suspiciously like some OTHER piece of ofoto (copy protection?) is
still out there running.  When it runs, it puts this problem back in.

No, during the time spent with Ofoto, there was over 6 hours worth of talking to them - actual talking, not hold time. They not only escalated me to 2nd level but I actually had one of the *programmers* call me. Maurice who was coordinating this, was actually flabbergasted. He said he's never heard of a programmer actually condescending to talk to a user. I've never heard of it happening either. They are extremely interested in finding out what is causing this, and want me to let them know if I ever find an answer. They had me looking all kinds of places to find remnants and this is the *only* place that ofoto shows up in the registry.

It's getting to the point I want to find out more on what makes a DLL. I know it stands for Dynamic Link Library or something like that. I've gotten the impression that it's like a miniature program with info in it. How do we find out what is in the RunDLL library?

Or can one of you find something else in the hklm/hklu that needs checking?

I'm determined to find out what is causing this!

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net