[dba-Tech] OT: Compaq vs. Dell

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Jan 14 12:19:43 CST 2004

[in line remarks]

> ...hhhmmm ...I wouldn't expect Dell to normally include malware in their
> support ...personally I'd always run Spybot S&D and PestPatrol among other
> diagnostics before calling any support point ...now the exception
> to that is
> that I would expect Dell Support to be aware of any recent malware/virii
> issues for which updates have not been released by
> Symantec/Spybot etc, and
> warn me of them if my symptoms point in that direction.

The fact that its an issue that they have to make a policy about shows that
its a major concern. Every company is dealing with it now. Most companies
advise people to use Spybot S&D, AdAware, Pest Patrol or the like. Symantec
is biting a huge bullet adding addware removal to NAV. The sent out a press
release a year or two ago that said they wouldn't do it since the EULA of
most addware states its purpose and it is thereby legal software but
apparently they rethought that. As I understand they have been sued already
by Gator.
It drives me crazy that businesses would download anything that is not of
business value but it happens every day in every customer site I have -
regardless of my advice. And, also, sorry for getting this off topic
somewhat - if someone has malware on their SERVER (its more of PC problem)
they probably deserve bad tech support ;o)

> ...Dell driver and software updates have been consistently good and always
> appear on the Win Update site at the same time Dell makes them
> available on
> their own site which saves me a bit of time.

Agreed

> ...based upon customer complaints, Dell has now moved all of its small
> business/corporate support back to US based staff who actually
> speak English
> and can deviate from a script ...my understanding is that HP/Compaq
> continues to use their India based support but since I don't use them I
> can't verify that.

Yes this is a major plus!

> ...my real bitch with Compaq servers was based upon a couple
> instances where
> proprietary components simply were not available for one of their older (3
> years) servers and when they were found, the price was simply outrageous
> ...but you paid or died ...one experience left a client down for
> more than a
> week whose entire business was computer based while Compaq searched
> everywhere for the part according to them ...I finally found it through a
> desperation plea on another list ...the client bought all new Dell Servers
> two months later and I've never even considered using Compaq again ...with
> Dell Servers, I can if necessary use ANY OTS component in an emergency and
> it will work ...and Dell will continue to honor the rest of its warranty.

More true a few years ago and I believe this will end for Small Business
Server lines (if it hasn't already) because of the HP buyout. On the higher
end servers most companies use non-typical/proprietary parts - that's what
makes them higher-end :o)

> ...this is of course just my experience ...others evidently have reason to
> see it differently :)
>
> William Hindman

Good Luck JC.

JB