[dba-Tech] MS Server software and CALs

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 15 00:51:30 CST 2004

...I run SBS2K on all of my clients JC ...its the best bundle MS has
available and you're right, SQL Server is a real deal in SBS ...I'll wait to
upgrade to SBS2003 until after the first service pack is released ...however
we're buying the upgrades and user cals now because MS has a time limited
offer for an extra five free cals ...they're giving the 5 free cals as a
peace offering because they screwed up the original install on SBS2003 so
badly leaving a LOT of people stranded ...the freebie runs out on 5 Feb.

..if you're looking at an install in the next few months, you might want to
consider SBS2000 instead of 2003 ...I belong to a busy SBS list and there
are a large number of problems being experienced with 2003 installs even by
the gurus ...otoh, SBS2K is pretty much debugged and there is a large
repository of solutions available for almost every problem you might run
into ...buying SBS2K and the upgrade to 2003 before Feb 5 will run you about
the same money as SBS 2003 Premium alone. HTH :)

William Hindman