[dba-Tech] Xandros running MS Office?

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 19 14:30:26 CST 2004

> From: "William Hindman" <wdhindman at bellsouth.net>

> "in our testing, we find that these applications have signifcant bugs that
> prevent them from running flawlessly." Crossover
>
> ...yep, gonna jump right in that well-regarded briar patch :((((

At least they are up front about the problems. Unlike our friends in Redmond.

Not to mention that that quote is from a ratings system they use so you can make an informed descision on wheather it will work for you or not.

Continuing on with the quote William started...
"The most important aspect of a silver application is that CodeWeavers makes a firm commitment to bring all silver applications to the gold level in future releases of CrossOver, and that CodeWeavers will respond to and address all bugs reported in these applications."

I wouldn't and don't run MS Office on Linux anyway. It wasn't designed for it. It was designed to run on Windows. OpenOffice was designed for Linux, so was KOffice.

I'm not saying Linux is better than Windows. Nor am I saying Windows is better than Linux. I use them both, but for different purposes.
What I am saying is that in the Linux community CrossOver Office is well regarded in getting Microsoft Office for WINDOWS to run on Linux. Just like in our community (AccessD and DBA in general) Access is a "real" DB not a toy one as so many contend.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Unfortunately common sense isn't so common!