[dba-Tech] RAM weirdness...

Gary Kjos garykjos at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:10:03 CST 2004

Sounds like it might be a problem with your motherboard perhaps.....

Toms Hardware Guide had a similar issue with a similar Soyo MB (Soyo
SY-6BA);

"My memory tests ended disappointing: Only 256 MB were detected in case of
two installed 256 MB modules, and if I used 64 MB modules I found a strange
bug: 2x 64 MB lead to 64 MB usable. 3x 64 MB end in 128 MB usable. "Of
course" the "big" 64 MB module didn't run as well, all the same that is no
reason to worry about.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19981109/440bx-11.html

Or more likely, maybe you have the wrong memory.....

http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=122

the SOYO USA support site has this question;

My memory is only being recognized as half size?

There are number of different memory types available in the market, some of
the most popular memory types are based on 4 bit, 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit
design for the memory modules. SOYO motherboards (unless specified
otherwise) can only recognize 8 bit memory modules. If a 4 bit memory(also
known as high density memory) is placed on the board the system will only be
able to recognize half the memory. for example if a 512MB high-density(4
bit) memory is placed on a board that does not support that memory. the
memory will only read as 256MB. If you are experiencing such problems,
please contact the memory manufacturer for the specs on your memory module
to make sure it is 8 bit memory.

Gary Kjos
garykjos at hotmail.com