[dba-Tech] WinXP Home Edition and NT4 domains

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jan 24 09:01:28 CST 2004

Hi John

Yes, that may very well be so.

However, you never for how long, neither can you clone or duplicate a
setup at a new client and be sure it will work reliably. We have a
long record of malfunctioning "Windows network" peer-to-peer setups
which has caused all sort of problems with a majority around shared
printers.

I a client insists we stress that it will be on his own risc and that
we neither can or will guarantee reliability of such a network
appropriate for business use. Also, Windows network at least used to
be set up by default with the Netbios protocol which the latest worms
just love; at one occasion a client had 20 machines infected in a
second when someone brought in and connected an infected laptop
because the users were allowed to establish peer-to-peer connections.
Security is either impossible or a nightmare to maintain on such
networks.

/gustav