[dba-Tech] Windows XP Home vs Pro

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Tue Jul 13 07:54:20 CDT 2004

Andrew,

>> You should still be able to communicate by IP and generally by machine name
(depending on name resolution techniques) irrespective of what the workgroup
'name' is - that is, as long as you have them on the same subnet (they
should all automatically get an IP in the same range by default). <<

Interesting. I wonder, though, about the ability of a laptop that floats from one LAN to another to get comfie with that LAN's printer. The cable modem seems to work just fine without regard to the machine name or group name; it's the printing capability I'm concerned about most.

There's one other issue: I've got an Access application at my client's office that uses Replication. I believe that Replication relies on the machine name, yes?

>> It is possible that two machines could get the same IP in rare cases...  You
can avoid this by assigning them each a different static IP on the same
subnet if you wish. <<

So, XP Home allows this?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI
920-969-0504

"Being steadfast in defense of carefully considered convictions is a virtue. Being blankly incapable of distinguishing cherished hopes from disappointing facts, or of reassessing comforting doctrines in face of contrary evidence, is a crippling political vice." - George Will