[dba-Tech] Windows XP Home vs Pro

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Tue Jul 13 18:09:39 CDT 2004

Yeah I'm not sure about the printers...  We have a few users here at work
who take laptops home and connect to their home machines and haven't
reported any issues, however I assume they'd all be connected locally to the
laptop and not used over a network...  Do you have the printer connected to
a machine or a router / print server?

As for replication - not sure.  I'm trying to recall some scripts I used to
dynamically connect and replicate over dial-up / WAN but I can't recall
whether I specified IP address or not...  Worth a try though...

>> It is possible that two machines could get the same IP in rare cases...
You
can avoid this by assigning them each a different static IP on the same
subnet if you wish. <<
>> So, XP Home allows this? <<

It doesn't know (nor does any operating system AFAIK)...  As you're not
(assumably) using a central point to distribute IP addresses (such as a DHCP
server), then each individual machine gives itself a certain IP address (in
a specified range) without knowing what the IP address of any other machines
are.

I can go into more detail on how IP addresses are assigned if you wish..

Cheers,