[dba-Tech] XP Pro - Users - was Windows XP Home vs Pro

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Wed Jul 14 06:22:12 CDT 2004

John,

Try the following software http://www.netswitcher.com/, it may be just what you are looking for.

Scott Marcus
TSS Technologies, Inc.
marcus at tsstech.com
(513) 772-7000

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com [mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]  On Behalf Of jwcolby
Sent:	Tuesday, July 13, 2004 11:18 PM
To:	'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject:	[dba-Tech] XP Pro - Users - was Windows XP Home vs Pro

This is a discussion I need to participate in!  I just bought a laptop that
came with XP Home!  8-(

I am about to upgrade to XP Pro simply because a major client's network is a
domain ad I can't logon with my laptop there.  Having upgraded to XP Pro
(not done yet) I intend to then simply use my laptop at the site instead of
his machine to do dev on-site.  They like the idea because it frees up a
machine that they can give to someone else, plus it avoids the ever annoying
"could you sit over there... No, cause I need a specific setup on my
machine" issues.  I have already changed machines 3 times, with all the
setup for email, my libs, error handler wizard etc.  PITA!!!

I was talking with them though about getting my email there, using my
username at their company.  They use an email server (exchange server I
think) and Outlook whereas I use pop mail from my web server and Outlook.
Thus I need to connect to the Exchange server at the client, but to my Pop
server everywhere else.

His suggestion, which sounds appropriate is to create different users.  I
log in as a specific user (on my laptop) when at their site, and another
user at home and elsewhere.  This would allow me to set up their printers,
outlook to attach to their exchange server, mapped drives, printers etc for
that user, and a completely different set for home office.

Does this sound correct?  I am soooo ignorant about this stuff it is almost
embarrassing.  I have always just had a single user on my machines.