[dba-Tech] Windows XP Home vs Pro

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Wed Jul 14 09:25:36 CDT 2004

You'll generally find two options available under TCP/IP options of your
network card:

1. 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' or
2. 'Use the following IP Address'

When using the first option, the card sends out a 'broadcast' on its
connected LAN to try and find a DHCP server, during startup.

If it finds one and all goes well, it's given an IP address / subnet /
gateway from the DHCP server according to the DHCP Server's settings (and
optionally its DNS details - this option is underneath the IP settings in
that dialog window).

If it doesn't find one, it gives itself an IP address in the reserved range
169.254.x.x.  So if two machines on a network are both set to 'Obtain IP
Address Automatically' and there is no DHCP server, then they should still
be able to speak to each other as they both retrieve an IP address in that
range (subnet).

Using the second option, you have to supply those details yourself (IP
address / subnet etc) and ensure that any machines on your network that you
want to speak to each other, are on the same subnet.

(Machines on different subnets *can* speak to each other which is where the
gateway comes in, however it's not overly common on home networks).

Obviously the second option can be a little more work if you have a number
of machines.  Additionally, if you travel with a laptop then while at work
you're likely to have to use DHCP, meaning you will need to change these
settings whenever you bring your laptop home.

Therefore DHCP is generally always preferred except when a static IP is
especially required (such as for server's etc).  It should function without
many issues both at work and home if configured correctly.

This article is quite long but offers some extra reading if you like:

Cheers,
Andrew