[dba-Tech] Digital Cameras

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Jul 20 18:03:52 CDT 2004

I imagine that some of the newer cameras have a USB port instead of a
floppy. Is that true? I don't yet have one of those Flash thingies that
plug into a USB port, but my colleague Joe does, and WOW! Half the size
of a lighter and it stores 200+MB! Neato. One of those in a digital cam
and you could store thousands of pics without reloading.

Incidentally (and since I don't yet own a digicam, forgive my
ignorance), can you set one up on a tripod and automate time-lapse
shots? Say I want a sequence of sunset shots every minute or so. Can I
set it and go watch Law & Order, thence to return and have all my shots?

Do any of the new cameras let you supply some sort of seed value so that
it will name the pics starting at said seed? The only camera with which
I have experience names the files starting at 1 every time you stick in
a new floppy disk. Surely someone's come up with a better naming scheme
since the first versions of digicams. Assuming I was about to shoot a
bunch of pics of Shirley, surely I could input the filename prefix
"Shirley" and have them numbered from there. Surely.

Finally, what is available in terms of lenses for digicams? Can you get
wide-angle, fisheye, telephoto, etc. as add-ons or what? And what about
underwater casings? Can you scuba with a digicam and shoot fish?

Please forgive my ignorance. If I had all the answers I wouldn't need to
visit here :)

Arthur