[dba-Tech] Digital Cameras

Gary Kjos garykjos at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 22:41:46 CDT 2004

Hi Arther,

Digital Cameras all generally use some kind of solid state memor cards
nowadays. Essentially the same as the USB dongle thing it sounded like you
were referring too. My camera uses a form of memory card called SD - for
Secure Digital. It's the size of a postage stamp and the thickness of a
quarter and it holds 128Mb. There are higher density cards in the same
format I have been trying to buy a 256MB one but have had my orders
cancelled a number of times after being on Backorder for a while. The 128Mb
card I have I paid about $50 for I thik. Most cameras have USB connections
on them in order to transfer the photos from the camera memory card to the
computer. After the pics are safely on the ocmputer, you delete the pics
from the memory card, If you want to. I have a card with a bunch of pics on
it from a vacation that I have moved to my Palm PDA - it also uses the same
format memory card as an add on memory thing and I can view the pics on the
Palm. My newest camera consecutively numbers the pics and never resets so
you won't have duplicate file names. My previous camera did what you wanted,
it prefixed the filename with a folder name as part of the file transfer
process to the computer. I generally put each "batch" of pics in a seperate
folder within "My Pictures". Sometimes I get lazy though and put them into a
"catch all" folder too though if I only have a few.

Regarding lenses - there are several classes of digital cameras available.
Most of the general use cameras have zoom lenses that alow you to go from a
limited wide angle to a limited telephoto just by pushing a button. There
are also replaceable lens camera available now too. Pretty much the same as
an Single Lens Reflex film camera. These cameras can use the same lenses as
the film cameras do. It's gonna cost you quite a bit to get into a digital
SLR styl canera though, at least a thousand dollars probably.

I susppect that there are underwater cases available for many of the digital
cameras or even caneras designed to work underwater without an additional
case. I am not familiar with them specifically. I'd have a look at these two
websites for more info on digital cameras. Both have sample photos that
really show the capabilities of these devises.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Gary Kjos
garykjos at hotmail.com