[dba-Tech] Emergency - winXP problem

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Wed Jul 21 16:27:52 CDT 2004

I've just transplanted a new motherboard, processor and RAM into a friends
pc... I've turned it on, and now the pc can't or won't see the C:\ drive and
won't boot.

I've run fixmbr to fix the master boot record, and fixboot, to fix the boot
partition... but it insists that there is an error loading the operating
system, and it says that there is nothing installed on the drive. I know
this to be untrue, as I have been administering this pc for about 6
months... I've tried a recovery console repair, but it can't find anything
to repair, the same with a repair install...

actually, thinking about it, would the fact that I'm using a win2k cd to
repair an xp install be a problem??? hmm... I really need a holiday...

Jon