[dba-Tech] Windows ME Malware problem

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Tue Jul 27 12:13:49 CDT 2004

ME is essentially the next version of 98, and as such, he should be able to
reinstall windows over the top to "fix" the bad things, without affecting
his installed programs and data. There should be a safe mode (if you press
F8 during bootup), just like in 95, 98 and 98se, but if Explorer.exe is
quarantined, this might not work either. Thinking about it, even if you do a
reinstall it might not work, because McAfee could still theoretically block
access to explorer.exe. Might be an idea to buy a new hard drive, "recover"
the OS to that, then see if you can access the other hard disk...

Jon