[dba-Tech] Windows ME Malware problem

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 07:37:38 CDT 2004

Jon,

>> It blocks pop-ups. I assume that zonealarm does as well, but I had google
before zonealarm, so I've never bothered to check :-) <<

The commercial version of ZoneAlarm has an interesting array of privacy settings. You may:

* block session cookies
* block persistent cookies
* block 3rd party cookies
* disable web bugs
* remove private header information
* force cookie expiration
* block banner/skyscraper ads
* block pop-up/pop-under ads
* block animation
* fill the space of a blocked ad with
  # nothing
  # a box with the word "[AD]"
  # a box that allows the ad to appear upon mouseover
* block javascript
* block vbscript (and others)
* block embedded objects (java, ActiveX)
* block mime-type integrated objects

All of these things may be turned on or off. I still don't understand all this, but I've certainly seen the effects on certain sites. For example, if I've got "remove private header information" checked then I can't see many of the comic strips on comics pages web sites. Pamela sends me a number of those each week. For a while I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see them. Turned out to be ZoneAlarm.

I like it. I don't even mind the annual fee.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

"IBM had every chance to end the Windows monopoly with OS/2 but shot itself in the foot, ankle, shin, knee, and hip, reloading each time, before giving up." - Jerry Pournelle