[dba-Tech] Re: [] Going to Raid - Win2K

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 16:21:46 CDT 2004

Raid is an awesome way to keep a hotbackup.  although I still firmly
believe in data backups.. but not as a straight backup but as a Ghosted
image.  Ghost is an awesome tool and you can backup directly to CD or
DVD nowadays.

As for partitioning a drive, it makes good sense to partition a drive
because you can limit the amount of fragmentation to the a partion.
thus the OS partition would be fast to defrag whereas your data
partition would take more time.  But for ghosting purposes you'd want to
ghost / image out the ENTIRE HDD or at least both partitions at the same
time (one backup session).

On my system I have a highpoint controller IIRC, I'm not currently using
it for it's raid capacities but does allow for either extending capacity
(a gigantic drive) or a mirrored drive, iirc, you should still be able
to  partition this out via windows down to individual partitions.  If
you own partition magic, then you maybe able to do this w/o having to
re-install everything...

--
-Francisco