[dba-Tech] Laptop Recommendation

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Thu Jun 3 17:49:21 CDT 2004

Rocky, I haven't read everything, but thought I'd tell you what I have.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00017H7SA/002-8908962-2796030
?v=glance
I previously had another Sony, with less bells and whistles and was happy
with it, so I did a "go for broke" on this one. Note that the "CD" will burn
DVDs too. Comes with XP Home, so I bought the upgrade to Pro.

I haven't had a desktop for over 6 years - use laptop for everything. I have
all these externals hooked up to it:
Monitor
Keyboard (wireless by Logitec)
Mouse (marble, so USB instead of the wirelss regular mouse)
Scanner
20 gig HD (left over from previous)
80 gig HD
DVD burner (left over from previous)
3.5 drive
HP Laserjet 1500L (3 color cartridges plus the black one) via HP Print
Server

Everything except monitor is either USB or wireless.

I have LinkSys router controlling the internet (Charter cable) so that Dave
and I both get the internet. On old laptop, I had a PCMCIA slot LynkSys wifi
card that I used.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=507
Since the new laptop has built in, I'm willing to sell the WPC54G - Amazon's
charging $70 and has used ones for $55, so if someone wants it, I'll sell it
for $50 + actual shipping (no tax).

I didn't buy the replicator for this one, though I had it for the last one.
Probably will eventually. But if you don't do that much traveling with it,
it's not that much of a hassle to unplug the hub etc to "go".

I recently took it to Las Vegas, and went to Starbucks - no problem with
connecting. And, as mentioned before, I use my own "hot spot" here at home.

I doubt you'd have any problems with your developing. I don't do the Access
developing you do, but use Macromedia Studio MX (& have MX 2004) for
developing about a dozen websites. I multitask all the time with no
problems.

Happy shopping!

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)